JD/MSP Program

The Juris Doctor/Master of Social Policy (JD/MSP) joint degree offers students the opportunity to gain advanced legal training with critical knowledge and skills in social policy analysis, evaluation, management and leadership. It prepares students for positions in the public and private sectors and addresses the growing need for technical policy training.

Who Should Consider a JD/MSP?

Students interested in the following areas may wish to pursue a JD/MSP:

  • Social policy research and analysis
  • Government administration and service
  • Policy organizations and think tanks

How Do I Apply for the Program?

A separate application must be submitted to both the School of Law and the Brown School. Prospective students should indicate to both schools, at the time they apply, that they are seeking admission as a joint degree candidate. WashULaw will grant all current Washington University graduate students who wish to pursue a joint degree an application fee waiver.

How Long Does it Take to Earn a JD/MSP?

The JD/MSP takes four years or less to complete. Students must comply with the admission requirements for both degree programs. The equivalent of five semesters (earning 77 credits) are spent at the law school, and three semesters (earning 31 credits) are spent at the Brown School. Students who start in one program are welcome to apply to the other program and begin the JD/MSP during their second year of school.

Why Washington University?

WashULaw and the Brown School are top-ranked schools in their respective fields. Both schools have outstanding placement rates and offer an extensive alumni network. Students in the JD/MSW degree program have access to the incredible resources of the Career Center at the law school and the Career Services office at Brown.

Who Should I Contact for Additional Information?

  • Email the Admissions Office or call 314-935-4525.
  • For questions related to tuition and financial aid, please email Carrie Burns, Assistant Director of Financial Aid and Student Services, or call 314-935-4605.
  • For questions related to registration and residency or other course requirements, please email Sarah Hellin, Assistant Dean of Academic Services, or call 314-935-7458.
  • For questions about academic advising, please email Elizabeth Walsh, Associate Dean of Student Services, or call 314-935-5861.

Contact Info