University College

Brookings Hall on the Danforth Campus

University College is the professional and continuing education division at Washington University in St. Louis. The division offers a wide range of courses in both online and face-to-face formats in a variety of academic departments and interdisciplinary and professional areas of study. Part-time and full-time study options in undergraduate degree programs, graduate degree programs, and certificate programs are available. University College is also home to the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute for adults 50 years old and older. In addition, University College sponsors special lectures and programs such as the Master of Liberal Arts (MLA) Saturday Lecture Series and the Summer Writers Institute. For more information, visit the University College website.

Undergraduate Study

University College awards Associate in Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in a wide range of academic subjects and interdisciplinary areas of study. Students may also select courses from many other academic departments and programs at Washington University that do not offer majors or programs of study in University College. Undergraduate certificate programs for professional and personal development are also available. Please visit the University College website or call 314-935-6700 for more detailed information, requirements and policies concerning specific undergraduate degree and certificate programs.


The admissions policies and procedures of University College reflect the special circumstances of part-time adult students and vary by academic program. Students seeking admission to an undergraduate degree or certificate program should meet with an academic adviser in University College to discuss goals prior to submitting an application for admission. Formal admission is required of all students seeking undergraduate degrees or certificates in University College.

Admission requirements for both the Associate in Arts degree and the Bachelor of Science degree include a high school diploma or its equivalent as well as at least 6 units of transferable college-level course work taken at another accredited institution with a minimum grade-point average of 2.7 or at least 6 units of course work taken at University College with a minimum GPA of 2.7.

There are no formal admissions requirements for undergraduate certificates. Students should speak with an academic adviser regarding their preparation for specific certificates.

For more detailed information about admission requirements for the Associate in Arts degree, Bachelor of Science degree, and undergraduate certificate programs, including application forms, please visit the University College website; call 314-935-6700; or visit University College, located in January Hall, Room 100, on the Danforth Campus, One Brookings Drive, St. Louis, MO 63130 (appointment recommended).