Skandalaris Center for Interdisciplinary Innovation and Entrepreneurship
The Skandalaris Center for Interdisciplinary Innovation and Entrepreneurship is the hub of creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship at Washington University. We believe everyone can be entrepreneurial. Skandalaris provides programming where anyone can explore their creative and entrepreneurial interests, develop an entrepreneurial mindset, and go from ideation to launch.
The Skandalaris Center fosters and empowers an inclusive community that finds opportunities in problems and transforms ideas into action. We build an ecosystem of education, research, and resources that engages all WashU students, faculty, alumni, and staff as entrepreneurial leaders and collaborators.
Who We Serve
We work with the best and brightest at WashU — the change-makers, thought leaders, and visionaries — to solve the world's problems and meet local needs through innovation and entrepreneurship. As an interdisciplinary center, our initiatives serve students, faculty, staff, and alumni from all levels and disciplines.
We develop programs for WashU entrepreneurs, creatives, innovators, and scholars. Our commitment to interdisciplinary innovation and entrepreneurship is motivated by the following beliefs:
- Everyone can be creative. We provide hands-on experiences and the creative means to solve problems.
- Innovation is the backbone of entrepreneurship. Our opportunities are designed to develop and share new ideas while connecting with other WashU entrepreneurs and innovators.
- Good ideas are one opportunity away from success. Our programs are created to help WashU entrepreneurs and innovators access the resources they need to take their ideas to the next level.
- Knowledge and skills are key to innovation and entrepreneurship. Our Center offers events and opportunities to help our community of WashU entrepreneurs, creatives, and innovators learn the ins and outs of innovation and entrepreneurship.
Programs and Resources
- Experts on Call
This program provides an opportunity for the WashU community to connect with experts in the Skandalaris Center or remotely, free of charge.
- Honors in Innovation & Entrepreneurship
Students who have shown exemplary involvement in innovation and entrepreneurship during their time at Washington University are recognized through this program. Honors are earned by accumulating points through a combination of curricular and cocurricular activities.
- In-Residence Program
This program provides WashU students, faculty, staff, and alumni with the opportunity to learn from and work with professionals with extensive industry experience.
- PhD Citation in Entrepreneurship
This program provides opportunities for PhD students who are interested in developing skills and experiences in the areas of entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Pivot 314 Fellowship
The Pivot 314 Fellowship is a year-long program presented by the Office of the Provost and the Skandalaris Center for Interdisciplinary Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Pivot 314 offers graduate students curated programming focused on professional development and on strengthening leadership and communications skills, as well as internship opportunities.
The Skandalaris Center, Washington University, and external services and resources are available to support innovators and entrepreneurs.
- Skandalaris Spaces
Our collaboration space is available for hosting meetings or events. Requests should be made a week in advance.
- Skandalaris Startup Webinars, Panel Discussions, and Workshops
These webinars provide an exciting way for alumni to reconnect and share their experiences with entrepreneurship. We also offer free, noncredit workshops designed to encourage creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
- Startup Venture Promotion
The Skandalaris Center is happy to help Washington University in St. Louis students, faculty, staff, and alumni with promoting their startup ventures.
- Student Entrepreneurial Program (StEP)
StEP provides a unique opportunity for students to own and operate a business on campus that serves the WashU community. Student owners can supplement the valuable business and entrepreneurial skills they learn in the classroom while gaining real-world experience as they manage and lead their own businesses.
- Student Groups
There are many organizations that allow students to gain experience and make valuable interdisciplinary connections in the areas of creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
- Venture Development
The WashU community is invited to set an appointment with a member of our team for help with ideas and businesses at any stage. We will work with these individuals to brainstorm ideas, strengthen financial models, draft business plans, perfect pitches, and more.
- Washington University Entrepreneurship Courses
Courses in entrepreneurship offered across the university are available to students at all levels and in all disciplines.
IdeaBounce® is both an online platform and an event for sharing venture ideas and making connections. This is an opportunity for participants to pitch their ideas (no matter how "fresh"), get feedback on them, and make connections. In-person events happen frequently throughout the fall and spring semesters.
- Skandalaris Venture Competition (SVC)
The SVC provides expert mentorship to new ventures and startups to ready them for commercializing their ideas, launching, and pitching to investors. Teams will develop materials focused on explaining the ideas that they are working on to a broad audience.
- Who Can Apply: Current Washington University students and alumni (within one year of graduation) with an early-stage venture or idea
- Award: Up to $22,500
- Global Impact Award (GIA)
The GIA awards WashU–affiliated ventures with inventions, products, ideas, and business models that will have a broad and lasting impact on society.
- Who Can Apply: WashU students, postdocs, residents, and alumni who have graduated within the last 10 years
- Award: Up to $50,000
Please contact the Skandalaris Center to sign up for our newsletter and for additional information about all programs.