The Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degree is awarded to students by recommendation of the faculty. Standards established by the faculty for recommendation are as follows:
- Satisfactory completion of requirements regarding required and elective courses, accumulation of a minimum of 120 units of course work, and satisfactory fulfillment of other requirements established in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Olin Business School.
- Completion of the last 30 units in residence at Washington University for entering first-year students. Transfer students must complete a minimum of 60 units in residence at Washington University.
General Requirements (a minimum of 48 units)
Each student must complete a minimum of 48 units outside of the Olin School to include the following specific requirements:
- College Writing (3 units): Students must demonstrate proficiency in reading and writing the English language by satisfactorily completing one College Writing Program themed writing course with a grade of C- or better.
- Calculus (3-6 units): Students must complete Math 131–Math 132 or other calculus courses approved by the Olin Business School.
- Distribution Requirements (18 units): Students must complete 3 units of physical and life sciences, 3 units of humanities, 6 units of international studies, 3 units of behavioral analysis, and 3 units of ethics and values. Approved course selections are available in the university's course listings.
- Advanced Electives (12 units): Students must complete at least 12 graded units of advanced course work. Advanced electives are defined as any course numbered 300 or higher that is offered as any day division course. Advanced electives may also satisfy a distribution requirement.
Professional Requirements (a minimum of 60 units)
- Core Requirements (42 units):
|ACCT 2610||Principles of Financial Accounting||3|
|ACCT 2620||Principles of Managerial Accounting||3|
|DAT 120||Managerial Statistics I||3|
|DAT 121||Managerial Statistics II||3|
|DAT 220||Analytics and Modelling for Business Decisions||3|
|FIN 340||Capital Markets and Financial Management||3|
|MEC 292||Global Economy||3|
|or Econ 1021||Introduction to Macroeconomics|
|MGT 100||Individual in a Managerial Environment *||3|
|MGT 150A||Foundations of Business||2|
|MGT 201||Management Communication||4|
|MKT 370||Principles of Marketing||3|
|OB 360||Organization Behavior Within the Firm||3|
|OSCM 356||Operations Management||3|
- Professional Electives (a minimum of 18 units): Professional electives are non-required business courses offered by the Olin Business School that may or may not lead toward a specific business major. Additional information about the specific requirements for each business major is available on our Majors page.
- Global Mindset Component (1.5 - 3 units): For BSBA Class of 2025 and beyond.
Electives (units will vary)
Students must take enough electives to earn the minimum of 120 units.
Typical Four-Year Curriculum for a BSBA Student
Typically, students must earn 30 units per year to stay on target with a four-year graduation plan.
120 credits minimum
|MGT 100||3||MEC 290||3|
|Math 131 or higher*||3||DAT 120||3|
|English Composition**||3||Math 132 or elective||3|
|DAT 121||3||DAT 220||3|
|ACCT 2610||3||Core requirement(s)||3-6|
|Core/Professional requirements||6-12||Core/Professional requirements||6-12|
|Professional electives||6||Professional electives||6|
Students may enroll in a higher level of calculus providing their academic preparation suggests a different level of calculus.
BSBA students are assigned to enroll in their College Writing Program course in either the fall or spring semester of their first year. Some students may start at a different level of English preparation and may take their writing course as late as sophomore year.
- Students must complete a minimum of 120 units, including 48 units outside of the Olin School and 60 units from the Olin School. Students who substitute a non-business course for a business requirement will still be required to enroll in another business course, as a minimum of 60 credits must be earned in Olin Business School.
- Students must earn a minimum 2.0 overall grade-point average and 2.0 GPA in all professional course work taken at Olin Business School.
- Students must earn the final 30 units (60 units for an external transfer) toward the degree at Washington University.
- Students must be recommended by the Olin Business faculty for degree confirmation by the Board of Trustees.
- A maximum of 15 units of pre-matriculation credit may be counted toward graduation. Pre-matriculation sources include Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), British Advanced (A) Levels and college courses taken after the junior year in high school. These units will count toward the 120 credits but will not satisfy any distribution, statistics or advanced education requirements. If a student takes a course in residence in which AP credit has already been awarded, the AP credit will be removed from the student's record.
- BSBA students may earn a maximum of two majors to include two professional majors or one professional major and one major outside of Olin Business School.
- BSBA students may earn one or two minors, depending on the number of majors they pursue. The options are two majors and one minor or one major and two minors. Most of our minors are offered outside of Olin Business School.
- Distribution requirements and advanced general electives (12 credits) must be taken for a grade. However, if a student completed a distribution/advanced course on a pass/fail basis prior to transferring to Olin Business School, then this course would count toward that requirement.
- All business courses must be taken for a grade, with the exception of MGT 450A.
- BSBA students may enroll in one physical education course per semester.
- BSBA students may enroll in one pass/fail course each semester. These credits will count only as general education electives.
- BSBA students may enroll in one University College course per semester. However, these credits will not count toward the 120 units needed for their BSBA degree. The grade from this course will not be factored into the GPA.
- Olin Business School does not accept any online course work for transfer credit.
- BSBA students may transfer up to 6 credits per summer toward their BSBA degree requirements.
- BSBA students must complete 54 of the 60 professional units in residence. Course work taken as part of an approved Washington University international program will satisfy this residency policy.
- BSBA students must complete all professional courses for each business major in residence. Course work taken as part of an approved Washington University international program will satisfy this residency policy.
- BSBA students may double count only one course in a business major. For example, if a BSBA student is majoring in both marketing and entrepreneurship, they could not count MKT 378 and MKT 482 toward both majors.
- ROTC units numbered 300 or above will count toward the student's 120 units required for graduation. These credits may count toward the advanced non-business requirements providing the course is taken for a grade.
- Students are obligated to complete the requirements and adhere to the policies in place at the time of matriculation into the BSBA program. However, faculty has and reserves the right to make changes to degree requirements, policies and procedures — including modifying or adding new requirements, policies and procedures — at any time.