JD/LLM in Intellectual Property and Technology Law Program
The Master of Laws (LLM) in Intellectual Property and Technology Law responds to the demand for knowledgeable and skilled intellectual property professionals who are also earning the Juris Doctor degree. The program's curriculum allows students to study introductory and advanced intellectual property law and to scrutinize the politics affecting those areas of the law under the guidance of leading scholars in the field. Students participate in practical skills courses taught in small groups by teams of experienced intellectual property lawyers.
Students earn both a Juris Doctor (JD) and an LLM in Intellectual Property and Technology Law in either the six-semester program or the seven-semester program. The innovative and unique six-semester program allows students to earn both degrees without sacrificing summer employment opportunities, thereby giving students a competitive advantage in the employment market at graduation.
The joint-degree program requires a total of 94 credits for graduation with both degrees, as compared with the 86 credits required for the JD degree. Students must take at least 15 credits of courses from the Intellectual Property and Technology Law curriculum.
Students taking the combined degree program are required to pay an extra semester’s tuition at a 40% discount, which is payable during the student’s final semester.
JD/LLM in Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Candidates must do the following:
- Complete the online application. No application fee is required.
- Complete the Permission to Release Academic Record/Information form that grants permission for the LLM Committee to access the student’s JD records and transcript.
- Email Rachael Johnson after they have submitted the online application.
- Six-semester JD/LLM: May 15 of 2L year
- Severn-semester JD/LLM: May 15 of 3L year
- Students earn 8 credits beyond those required for the JD or a total of 94 credits.
- Cost: One semester of LLM tuition at a 40% discount
- Students take 9 additional credits while in the JD program.
- Upon obtaining the JD degree, students take 15 additional NDR credits in one full-time semester in the LLM program.
- Cost: One semester of LLM tuition at a 40% discount, payable during the full-time semester in the LLM program