Courses at Washington University are coded by department and include a three- or four-digit number that generally means the following, although students should check with the school or department offering the courses to be certain:
- 100 to 199 are primarily for first-year students;
- 200 to 299 are primarily for sophomores;
- 300 to 399 are primarily for juniors;
- 400 to 499 are primarily for juniors and seniors, although certain courses may carry graduate credit; and
- 500 and above are offered to graduate students and to juniors and seniors who have met all stated requirements. (If there are no stated requirements, juniors and seniors should obtain permission of the instructor.)
For example: Course L07 105 is an introductory course offered by the Department of Chemistry (L07).
The presence of a course in this Bulletin signifies that it is part of the curriculum currently offered and may be scheduled for registration. Enrollment requirements are determined by term.